While our city is relatively safe, that doesn’t mean we should be careless when it comes to maintaining the security of our property. It’s a proven fact that burglars and thieves will try to infiltrate a home if they find that it has very poor security features in place.
Tips to Follow
Today there are a large number of advanced CCTV surveillance and alarm systems on the market that can act as a deterrent for unsavoury elements. However, more often than not, choosing the right types of locks for your home can also significantly increase the safety levels of your property. Here are some tips to keep your home safe with locks:
- Lock the Front Door– It important that you lock all the doors and doors before you leave home. Even if you are simply spending some time in your backyard with family and friends, its best to lock your front door as thieves can easily slip in and make a quick escape after stealing things from your home. Install a solid mortice lock on your front door as this can provide a good amount of security.
- Door Locks– It’s a good idea to install two-cylinder deadlocks, on all the external hinged doors. Investing in good quality knob-inlock sets that have a solid ‘dead latch’ mechanism is a good way from preventing perpetrators from using credit cards to open it.
- Sliding Doors– This is a favourite entry point for burglars and it’s important that you have some added protection for these doors. Get patio bolts or key-operated locks installed on all the external sliding doors including ones on your verandas, patios, decks etc. You can also improve the security of your sliding doors by inserting metal or wood dowels into the tracks at either end; this helps limit their movement.
- Windows- Open windows that are visible from the front street, may sometimes become the only reason why burglars target your home. For obvious reasons, your ground floor windows become far more susceptible to being broken into. It’s important that you get burglar bars, security screens/ grilles installed on all the accessible windows. Alternatively, you can get single cylinder window locks installed.
- Lock The Side And Back Gates- This step is as important as locking the front doors of your home. The side and back entrances are typically out of sight, providing easy access to thieves that can enter your home without being spotted. It is important that you install very strong padlocks on these gates.
- Lock The Right Wrist And Garden Sheds– Most garden sheds are full of different types of equipment and tools that can easily used by the thieves to break into your home. This makes it very important that you lock the sheds securely. If your garage is attached to your home and has a connecting door to the indoor spaces, it is even more important to make sure that your garage also has the right kind of door locking system.
Following these steps and installing good quality locks is one of the best ways to improve the security levels off your home. If you aren’t too sure about which kind of system would work best, feel free to call All Time Locksmiths at 1300 705 307. You can also contact us via the Contact Us form on this page.
To read more, click here.